Puppy & Dog Training
Puppy School is a course designed to teach your puppy (and your family!) how to behave around other dogs and people. It runs for five weeks in a safe, pleasant environment designed to socialise your puppy with people and other dogs of the same age.
Puppy School… Why Bother?
“It costs a lot of money” – Well how much did your puppy cost?
And how much will it cost to replace your new sneakers, the outdoor furniture/garden hose and your iPhone?
“I’m not paying that for dog training!” – Unless you are an experienced dog trainer, some professional tuition will go a long way to helping you raise your new puppy. After all, if you wanted to learn tennis or guitar, you would take lessons from a professional, wouldn’t you?
Everyone’s an expert when it comes to puppies! Just like having a baby, everyone has advice and tips. If you want the best education for your new baby, here’s what you need to know about Puppy School.
What age to start training? – Yesterday!
Ideally your breeder should have started the process, exposing your puppy to sounds, sights, surfaces and handling.
From 8 to 12 weeks of age is the most important time educate & socialise your puppy. This is when most puppies are adopted. Puppies start learning the minute they hit your home – good behaviour and bad!
Research the best trainer for your puppy!
- A qualified and experienced trainer using modern reward based training methods (food, toys, games & fun) to enhance the relationship between owner and new puppy.
- Select a trainer who specialises in pet dog classes for families
- A maximum of six puppies per class.
- Screening to ensure all pups are healthy & vaccinated.
- A class that teaches pups manners and prevention of behavioural problems such as jumping on people, biting, barking, etc. before it’s too late
- Classes that teach you how to calm your puppy – a puppy that learns calm behaviour and self control can focus and learn. Frantic puppies don’t learn!
- Minimal well managed play – rough, free-for-all play can lead to shy pups becoming scared of other dogs and bullies learning to be bigger bullies! Is there an older dog in class to help show the puppies how to respect and behave around older dogs as well young puppies.
- Time for questions in class, ongoing support and further education.
- A trainer that uses methods recommended by the Aust. Veterinary Assoc. & continually updates skills at industry seminars.
- Training methods that focus on rewarding and shaping behaviour, rather than correcting or punishing. Old fashioned “dominance” dog training techniques such as scruffing, water sprays, hitting or shouting “no” are very dangerous, particularly where children are involved.
- Puppies should not be wearing tight head halters or choke chains.
- Read testimonials & reviews on line.
You will only get one shot at training your baby puppy. Do your homework and avoid the potential grief and disappointment of a relationship gone wrong! Train with Fun, not fear!
What classes do we offer?
Baby Puppy Class
A must for all puppies as early as possible! Puppies have a window of socialisation and early learning, and this is it! Whatever you do, don’t miss getting your pup into a Baby Puppy class as soon as it arrives home.
- Pups from 8 weeks – 16 weeks
- 5 week course
- Small group session to help maximise learning – max 6 puppies in a class
- Great, large heated/air conditioned room plus outdoor area
- First week owners only – theory and discussion so we all start on the right paw!
We cover topics such as:
- Toilet training, biting/mouthing, jumping
- Sit for greetings, Look, Drop, Come
- Settle on a mat
- Socialising with other dogs and people
- How your dog learns best and the quickest way to train your pup
- Plus lots more and fun with Puppy Agility equipment in Week 5 of Graduation!
**FREE Puppy e-book emailed out prior to the Baby Puppy Classes commencing. Plus lots of extra free resources during your course
OUR PUPPY CLASSES BOOK OUT FAST- BECAUSE OF THIS, THEY ARE EXCLUSIVELY FOR CLIENTS OF THE CAROLINE SPRINGS VETERINARY HOSPITAL. SECURE YOUR PLACE BY CALLING 8390 2266
Has your puppy finished puppy school but you want to do more training?
Please Contact Us today and ask about joining one of our further training classes.