A visit from the Easter Bunny is just around the corner, and with it an increase in potential health risks for pets. Here’s some of the holiday hazards you should be aware of this Easter.

Chocolate
Most dogs love chocolate and with their strong sense of smell they are very good at finding it! The problem is, dogs are not able to metabolise theobromine, a derivative of caffeine found in chocolate.

Ingestion can lead to an increased heart rate, vomiting, diarrhoea, agitation, tremors, seizures and even death. Cooking and dark chocolate are the most toxic but ingestion of ANY chocolate can be a problem.

Hot Cross Buns
Many people are not aware that sultanas and raisins (and grapes) may contain a toxin that can cause kidney damage in dogs. Keep these off the menu at all times and watch for any that happen to drop on the floor, a common issue if you have little kids!

Easter lilies
These beautiful fragrant flowers if ingested, can cause kidney failure in cats. The stems, leaves, flowers and stamen are all dangerous, as is the water the flowers are stored in.

Easter toys
Those tiny fluffy baby chicken toys, plastic Easter eggs and bunny ears may be good basket stuffers for your kids, but your pet might think they look extra tasty and fun to chew on. They should all be kept away from cats and dogs as they can cause a gastrointestinal obstruction.

If your pet ingests any of the above over the Easter period call us on immediately for advice. Make sure you have emergency numbers on hand if it is out of our normal opening hours.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Get the latest pet care advice, seasonal health tips, and promotions.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This