As the Easter Bunny gears up to make his deliveries, it’s our job to remind you keep ALL chocolate out of paw’s reach!

We don’t want to see any Caroline Springs dogs with chocolate poisoning this Easter, but our canine friends seem specifically designed to seek out any morsel of chocolate – big or small, wrapped and unwrapped!

Why is chocolate dangerous for dogs?

The problem is, chocolate contains a derivative of caffeine called theobromine, and dogs have trouble digesting this ingredient. Scarily, theobromine ingestion can be fatal in some dogs.

Watch out for these symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs:

  • Hyperactivity
  • Tremors, panting and a racing heart
  • Vomiting and diarrhoea
  • Seizures

The toxicity is also relative to the size of your dog and the amount ingested. As a general rule, the darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is – but if your dog finds your Easter egg stash, it’s best to call us immediately as ANY amount of ANY type of chocolate (white and milk included) can cause a problem.

So if you live in Taylor’s Hill, Burnside or Hillside and your dog sneaks into the pantry at Easter, please contact your vet in Caroline Springs immediately. In most instances, we will make your dog vomit to try to prevent any nasty side effects from the chocolate.

What else is off the menu this Easter?

Sultanas and raisins can cause acute kidney failure in dogs so you’ll also need to keep hot cross buns off their menu this Easter.

If you are worried about your pet this Easter please call the friendly staff at Caroline Springs Vet Hospital.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Get the latest pet care advice, seasonal health tips, and promotions.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This